Sunshine Flower Blanket – progress report! the blanket is starting to take shape this week. I have taken a break from making blocks. The blanket is something I started work on in the summer whilst on holiday. I found a small yarn shop in the seaside town we were staying in and bought the colours to start the project. The yarn is Sirdar Cotton DK – the colours are shown in the picture below, the background is shade 502 Vanilla. My flowers are made up of shade 531, Citrus, shade 508, Honeysuckle and shade 510, Red. You can read my first post on building the blocks here.
Blocking and making up….
Last week I blocked one of the Tiger Lily squares and left the ball attached. This allowed me to carry on with the rounds of Vanilla in double and treble crochet that make the larger centre square. You can find the pattern for the Tiger Lily square in a book called ‘A Block A Day’ by Tracey Lord. I have included a link below to Amazon where you can get hold of a copy of the book.
Next I put a band of colour using the colours of the flowers. I increased the stitch size each time I changed colour. The Citrus band uses double crochet then the Honeysuckle band is in half treble. Finally the red band is worked in trebles.
After the red band I worked a couple more rows of Vanilla in trebles and double crochet.
Adding in the little blocks….
The next step was to put in a ring of the smaller squares I have been making on my train to work every day! I started by joining together the squares in a strip. Next I joined each strip of squares to the work working round the four sides of the square. The process of joining them together is very satisfying. It is easy to get a good finish if you are careful to line up the two pieces and insert your needle cleanly in each stitch. There are several methods out there for joining pieces together. I will share the method I use in a separate post.
I put in a couple of rounds of Vanilla when the smaller blocks were all in place. Then I added another band of the three colours. This time I started with the red and made a round of trebles. I followed this with a round of Honeysuckle using half trebles. Finally, I added a round of double crochet using the Citrus colour. Next I re-joined the vanilla which I plan to continue for a few inches before starting to incorporate the larger squares. There are 27 of those larger squares so far and I think I need just one more before I can complete that round.
I really love the overall effect of this blanket so far and I am looking forward to completing it. You will hear from me when I get to the next stage! Please let me know what you think and if you would like to see the pattern, I am writing it as I progress so I will make it available if there is interest.
Happy crocheting 🙂